Final Walk Through
Once we’ve been given the “Clear to Close,” Dawn will schedule your final walk through. This is your opportunity to tour the property one last time to make sure it is in the same condition as it was during inspections.
The walk through occurs a day or two before escrow closes. We will work with your availability as well as that of the seller’s if they are still residing in the home. The walk through takes about 15 to 30 minutes and is attended by you, Dawn, and often the seller’s agent so any issues that arise can be addressed in a timely manner.
Below is what we will be looking for at the final walk through:
- Verify that all required repairs have been completed. We will obtain copies of paid receipts and any related warranties in advance.
- Ensure all appliances are working properly.
- Confirm that nothing was damaged during the seller’s move (no dings or dents in walls, scratches on floors, etc.)
- Ensure all items included in the sales price (lighting fixtures, window treatments, etc.) are still at the property, and in good condition. This includes anything that was attached to the wall such as built-in units, shelves, mirrors, TV mounts, etc. – unless these were specifically excluded in the contract.
- Window screens are in place or stored safely.
- Make sure the doorbell, security system, smoke and CO2 alarms, HVAC, and hot water are functioning properly.
- Determine when the trash and recycling are picked up and where your waste receptacles are stored. Locate your designated parking spot, mailbox and storage unit (if you’re moving into a condo community).
- Acquire the garage door opener (if applicable) and any other remotes or key fobs.
- Locate any instruction manuals and warranties for remaining appliances and fixtures.
- Determine cleanliness of the residence. The home should be in “broom clean” condition although it is customary for sellers to have the house cleaned after moving.
- Make sure all of the seller’s items and all debris has been removed. This includes any hazardous waste or chemicals unless otherwise agreed upon (i.e. touch up paint, etc.)
The final walk through is NOT the time to invite friends and family to see your new home or to have vendors provide estimates for work. You will also typically not be given the keys to the home during the walk through, but we will discuss the key exchange with the seller’s agent. Often, Dawn will be given the keys and she will bring them to the sign-off or will arrange to get them to you after closing.
What happens if we do discover a repair hasn’t been made, something isn’t working, or the property has incurred damage during the seller’s move? Dawn will discuss the issues with the seller’s agent immediately. We can request that closing is delayed to allow enough time for the items to be repaired or request the sellers put money into an escrow account to cover the cost of repairs so you can still close on time. If the sellers are unwilling to comply, you could legally walk away. But, this rarely happens and odds are they will come through with a mutually agreed upon solution.
We are in the home stretch! The next step is to wire the remainder of your down payment to the title company.