Los Gatos has been making headlines of late, garnering write-ups in both the Wall Street Journal as well as Wine Spectator Magazine, which honored seven of its local restaurants with its annual Restaurant Award.
The Wall Street Journal article talks about the quaint charm of the Town as well as its desirability as a place to live. It also shares some interesting facts, such as:
- Even though the Town only has 30,000 residents, over 33,000 people have a Los Gatos Library card
- Over 15,000 people either participate in or watch the annual Los Gatos Children’s Christmas/Holidays Parade
- Los Gatos enjoys 330 days of sunshine each year
The editorial calls out David Kinch’s Michelin-rated Manresa restaurant and gives nods to his other pursuits, The Bywater and Manresa Bread. Oak & Rye, located on N. Santa Cruz Avenue, is also mentioned—the author specifically recommends their Scotty 2 Hotty pizza. The New Museum of Los Gatos (NUMU) and women’s boutique, Time Out Clothing, receive acknowledgments.
Since 1981, Wine Spectator’s annual Restaurant Awards “recognize restaurants whose wine lists offer interesting selections, are appropriate to their cuisine and appeal to a wide range of wine lovers.” To qualify, the wine list submitted for consideration must meet specific requirements. There are three award levels, Award of Excellence with 2,447 winners, Best Award of Excellence with 1,244 winners, and the coveted Grand Award. Only 100 restaurants achieve this exemplary level of wine service. (It should come as no surprise that Kinch’s two eateries also achieved Wine Spectator honors.)
Several Los Gatos restaurants received honors in 2019:
- Manresa — Best Award of Excellence winner since 2008
- Forbes Mill Steakhouse — Best Award of Excellence winner since 2010
- Dio Deka — Best Award of Excellence since 2018
- Steamer’s Grillhouse — Award of Excellence winner since 2003
- The Bywater — Award of Excellence winner since 2017
- Cin-Cin Wine Bar & Restaurant — Award of Excellence winner 2019
- Centonove — Award of Excellence winner 2019
For a small town tucked between a hub of high tech and a mountain range, Los Gatos has a lot to offer. It’s a wonderful place to call home, has incredible schools, a rich history, a state-of-the-art library, a charming downtown filled with a mix of specialty boutiques and anchor stores, an incredible offering of annual events, and some of the finest dining all within its 11-sqaure miles.